We promised. We said that after entering the pond we would have to tell you what plants you can introduce in your pond, in addition to the plant density, types of plants and some care. So here you have it. Well, it’s time to talk about aquatic plants . Let’s see how the entrance turns out!
HOW TO SET UP A GARDEN OF AQUATIC PLANTS IN YOUR GARDEN
There are. But I do not think we have come this far not to add plants, it would be totally discovered. In addition, apart from the merely visual aspect that a pond with vegetation provides, they also control the oxygen levels in the water and prevent it from becoming a veritable swamp with unpleasant odors and a large number of mosquitoes. Don’t hesitate and keep reading!
DEEP SEA AQUATIC PLANTS
The main plants in this section are water lilies ( Nymphaea spp) , with a large number of species. We must take into account the size of the leaves, according to the area of our pond and its depth. We have very vigorous growing water lilies (75-90 cm deep that can occupy 1 square meter), vigorous growth, for medium-sized ponds and between 45 and 60 cm deep, and moderate growth water lilies, for small ponds. , 30 to 40 cm deep.
Anyway, here is a list with the varieties of water lilies according to the parameters that we have discussed:
RESISTANT WATER LILIES
- Very vigorous growth: “Atraction” (garnet red), “Picciola” (crimson), ” Leviathan” (pink), “Gladstoniana” (white), “Colonel Welch” (yellow), ” Charles de Meurville” (red.
- Vigorous growth: “Virginalis” (white), “Sunrise” (yellow), “Rose Nymph” (pink), “Moorei” (yellow), “Marliacea Rosea” (pink), “Marliacea Albida” (white), “James Brydon ‘ (carmine red).
- Moderate growth: “Alba” (white), “Eugenia de Land” (pink), “Laydekeri Fulgens” (crimson), “Purpurata” (pinkish crimson), “Marliacea Chromatella” (yellow).
TROPICAL WATER LILIES
- Daytime flowering: “Afterglow” (orange), “Baghdad” (blue), “Evelyn Randig” (red), “General Pershing” (pink), “King og the Blues” (blue), “Mrs GH Pring” (white ), «St Louis», (yellow), «Trailblazer» (yellow).
- Night flowering: “HC Haarstick” (dark pink “, ” Missorui ” (white), ” Mrs GC Hitchcock ” (dark pink), ” Red Flare ” (red).
FLOATING AQUATIC PLANTS
SUBMERGED AQUATIC PLANTS
You will see them less, but there they are. These aquatic plants play a very important role in balancing the pond by oxygenating the water and eliminating carbon dioxide. Its stems and leaves constitute a refuge for the laying of animals (guaranteeing their survival and future development). What plants do we have in this section? Hottonia palustris, with purple flowers, Ranunculus aquatilis or lagoon grass, Ltricularia vulgaris, yellow in color and similar to the flowers of the snapdragon , Myriophyllum, Elodea canadensis, Chara fragilis, Lagarosipon, Potamogeton crispus, and a long etcetera !
THE MAINTENANCE OF YOUR AQUATIC PLANTS
As they have plenty of water and many nutrients, aquatic plants grow quickly and are very prolific , so from time to time you will have to cut them back to limit their space. If there are too many leaves in the pond and they cover everything, you have to do a cleaning and remove some , or those that are sick or dead. With the autumn many species die and the stems will have to be cut at water level, so that they hibernate without problems.
And what plants do I put on the banks of the pond? Well, we don’t forget about them either, but we’ll mention them in a future post!